Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 70: Whuppin' Up on the Smiths

In conversations with a couple of other "P90x" friends, we've been commenting that Kenpo-X, the cardio/martial arts workout that I generally do on Saturdays, had been getting easier. A couple of my friends even told me they don't do it anymore because it doesn't feel like a workout.

It's true that I haven't been "grabbing my shorts" during Kenpo recently. Yes, I'm in better shape, but I wondered if that was only part of it. With the weight workouts, as things have gotten easier, I've upped the weight. With plyometrics, I've started jumping higher. And with Yoga, well, that hasn't gotten easier.

But with Kenpo, the only thing to add is intensity--to get lower in my "horse stance," to kick higher and to add force to my punches. This morning (yes, Sunday--I just couldn't fit it in yesterday), I definitely stepped up the intensity.

When I did punches, I imagined I was hitting someone who had pissed me off (you know who you are). With the kicks, I imagined knocking over stacks of bricks. With blocks, I visualized a Matrix-worthy group of bad guys descending upon me and I was fighting them off (although I don't think I have got of the ground like Neo versus the Smiths in the picture).

After 45 minutes of that, I was dripping with sweat and definitely feeling the burn.

Even with all the workouts P90x has and all the focus on "muscle confusion," you can fall into a routine. You still need to find that intensity within to make all the workouts count.

With three more weeks to go, the Smiths are in for a few more ass-kickings.

No comments:

Post a Comment