Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Welcome to PDaddyX

Here's the bottom line: I'm 43 years old, I'm fat and I'm out of shape. I've decided to do the P90x program--a series of somewhat-torturous exercise DVDs and a nutrition plan that promises to have me in much better shape in three short months. I'll use this blog to chronicle my experience, in part for entertainment value, but mostly to hold myself accountable.

Why am I doing this? Because of my own damn words.

In my professional life, I am the spokesman for Montgomery County Public Schools, a large, diverse and very successful school district in suburban Washington DC. In my 17 months here--and 4 1/2 years before that working for the Georgia Department of Education--the topic of childhood obesity has come up many times. As the spokesman, I'm frequently asked "what are the schools doing about childhood obesity?" or some question like that.

My response goes something like this: I list a few things that our schools are doing, but then follow it up with this quote--"Our schools are doing their part, but healthy eating and exercise habits are learned and reinforced at home."

Let me be clear: I firmly believe that to be the case. In fact, I know it's true because of what's happening in my home.

I have two boys, ages (almost) 8 and 4 1/2. They are very active kids, but I recently have noticed some bad habits. They eat very fast and make lousy choices; they'd rather watch TV and play on the computer than move around and they complain a lot about aches and pains. They act just like....

Me.

As I've said to reporters, healthy lifestyles are learned at home and, frankly, I'm doing a lousy job modeling good eating and exercise habits for my boys. It's time I changed that. And that's why, for the next 90 days, I will be....PDaddyX! Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment