Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 83: Taking Off My Shirt

Today is the opening day at the Woodley Gardens Pool, which is a very exciting day in our house. Daniel was so stoked that he woke up at 7 a.m. and immediately put on his bathing suit and sandals. Unfortunately, the pool doesn't open until 11 a.m.

Last summer, when I was at about my heaviest, going to the pool was a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I love the pool. I was a swimmer as a kid and, despite my girth, I'm still pretty quick in the water.

But the pool was a place where I had to take off my shirt and I was extremely self-conscious about that. I was the "fat Dad" who could play in the pool with his boys for a little while, but would get extremely tired and have to sit out for a while.

This year will be a little different. I'm certainly not thin by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm in far better shape. I'm 25-30 pounds lighter and I actually have something resembling a physique, including biceps and triceps.

I'm still self-conscious about taking off my shirt. I probably always will be (hence why you haven't seen any such pictures on this blog). But, maybe, just maybe, I'll feel a little better about it and, most importantly, I'll be able to play with my boys in the pool without breathing heavy.

And that should make for a great summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment