Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 27: Warning Signs

This morning, I finished up week 4, my "recovery" week, with a Yoga workout. I'm actually starting to make some progress on Yoga, meaning I can do about 50 percent of the poses well and the rest are just an epic fail waiting to happen.

The recovery week has been nice and, this particular moment aside, my body is definitely not as sore as it was before. I feel ready for the next phase of P-90x. But during this week I've seen a few warning signs.

Slip-slidin' away: For the first three weeks, I was gung ho. I was getting up at 4:45 a.m. and was working out by 5 a.m. This week, I've been hitting snooze a little more, starting my workouts closer to 5:30 a.m. and then rushing to get them done. I think this is natural for any long-term fitness routine--the excitement can quickly turn to drudgery. But, I AM still excited about P90x and I am COMMITTED to being up at 4:45 a.m. and getting started by 5 a.m. Feel free to call my house at 5 a.m. to check! (Not really)

The mind is willing, but the core is weak: One thing I haven't talked much about is the fact that I've been giving short shrift to my ab and core workouts. The recovery week is all about working the core and I realized that my abs and lower back are not at the same place as the rest of my body (not that the rest of my body is in any great place, but it's better). So as I enter Phase 2, I will definitely be working my core as much as I should. For the record I HATE ab work.

A twinge of something, but not regret: Yesterday, as my friend Eric was torturing leading us through a work out, my left knee kept acting up. This knee has always been a little balky and it has given me a twinge here and there, especially during leg workouts and Plyometrics. But, for the first time in four weeks, I got a little worried about injury. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

I'm still really encouraged by how I'm doing and I'll share some of the "good news" with you tomorrow. In the mean time...

GO UCONN HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. You were doing Eric's class?! I knew I should've stopped by!

    ReplyDelete