Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 28: Accentuate the Positive

For most of my adult life, I have hated shopping for clothes. Each shopping trip is a depressing reminder of how heavy I've let myself get as an adult. Getting fitted for a suit or a tux was worst of all--each measurement read aloud and memorialized for your enjoyment. A diary of blubber. Good times.

But I had a slightly different experience on Saturday, when I went to get fitted for a tuxedo for an upcoming event. I braced myself to hear a big number when the tailor did my waist measurement, but, lo and behold, it was lower than it has been in a while. Mind you, it's still a pretty big number---but headed in the right direction.

Since starting P90X, I have lost 14 pounds and easily two inches on my waist. I also have started to see some semblance of a physique emerge again and--wait--what's that?---is that....a BICEP??? Why yes it is. In short, I'm not Patrick Swayze in this skit, but I ain't Chris Farley either (by the way, is this one of the funniest SNL bits EVER?)

As I enter week 5 of PDaddyX, here's a list of a few other things that I feel pretty good about:

1) I haven't missed a single day of working out and, except for one ugly morning, I felt good about working out each and every time--at least before I started.

2) I've been told by a few friends that I have "more energy" than I ever did. A good sign.

3) This blog has received 1,671 page views and I've received a lot of kind, supportive comments. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have no idea how motivating it is. I'm also encouraged because a few people have found reading this blog motivational for them to start--or to continue--working out. That's awesome and not something I expected.

But the best sign of all, for me, is that my two boys continue to notice that Daddy is exercising more and is trying to eat healthy. I even shared a salad with my 4 1/2 year old the other day and played a game of tag without getting so winded, that I had to pitch a tent on "base." How cool is that?

Yes, there are warning signs out there and I need to stay on my guard. But, so far, PDaddyX has been a great experience. I'm psyched for what the next 62 days will bring!

Let's go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment