Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 54: Containing the Damage

It had to happen at some point--one of those weeks where there wasn't enough room for my life, my job and P90x. This is the week that it all went "boom" (although not quite as dramatically as pictured).

I won't bore you with the gory details of my week, except to say it involved a work holiday (Monday) in which I worked eight hours and two consecutive 14 hour days on Wednesday and Thursday. Add a couple of unexpected events and my son's 8th birthday and you do not have a PDaddyx-friendly environment.

I realized midway through that this week was about containing the damage. And, I did a pretty good job of that. I didn't go off the eating plan very much (although dinner tonight may very well include a margarita) and I only missed one workout (so far).

In fact, this week made me realize how far I've come. On Wednesday, I was at a night event, as was my P90xing colleague, Eric Davis. Neither of us had worked out yet, so we made a pact. No matter what time we got home, we'd do our workout. Unfortunately, my day did not stop until about 10:30 p.m. when I found myself at a family friend's house keeping an eye on their two kids, while they were stuck waiting for a plane to take off. But, I put the DVD in and did the workout at their house. Realizing that, for a teenager, there is nothing worse than seeing a middle-aged man exercise, I did this in a side room where they did not have to watch.

Thursday was the day I missed. Frankly when I got home, I really WANTED to work out--but I hadn't really eaten and I was exhausted. Since it's my recovery week, I figured it was best not to push it.

In the past, this type of week would have been a health disaster--lots of bad food, a few too many cocktails and absolutely no exercise. But I'm proud that I did the best I could given the circumstance and remain committed.

Now... about that Margarita!

No comments:

Post a Comment