Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 47: What The Heck Are Soy Flakes?

We eat out a lot--probably too much.

This not only presents a problem for our wallets, but it has been a major PDaddyX challenge. As anyone who has been on any type of diet knows, your dining choices can be very limited. This is even more true for restaurants that cater to families. The portions are generally huge, everything comes with french fries or onion rings (as God intended) and the "healthy" choices are usually bland, unsatisfying or both.

The other night, we met some friends at the Hard Times Cafe, which is famous for its Chili Mac, essentially chili over pasta. As I perused the menu for healthy items, I saw vegetarian chili. Unfortunately, the first two words of the description were "Soy flakes..." Now, nothing against my vegetarian friends, but "soy flakes" sounds like a really bad cereal. It does not say "chili" to me. (Yes, those are soy flakes in the picture, not purina cat chow).

I decided to try it anyway (with no pasta) and add a salad. The chili tasted good but the, um, flakage had a very odd consistency--somewhere between chewing gum and gristly meat. But it filled me up and, generally, kept me on the plan.

Still, the Soy Flake industry needs some marketing help---a new name will make it go down much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment