Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 23: I Should Have Tabled My Workout

It wasn't just Core Synergistics that made my workout hard this morning. It was Robert's Rules of Order!

When you're the spokesman for a large school system, night meetings are a part of your life. Usually these meetings last until 9 p.m., maybe 9:30 p.m., and your home, comfy and cozy by 10 p.m. But not Monday night.

For whatever reason, the agenda for the Montgomery County Board of Education Monday night was long and packed with big issues. The meeting lasted a long time--past midnight-- because the issues they were discussing were important and deserved the time. But as the meeting went on, all I could think about was my alarm going off at 5 a.m. When I got home around 12:30 a.m., I couldn't fall asleep and didn't finally doze off until near the end of Jimmy Fallon (I didn't see Vanilla Fudge play, which, really, is fine with me).

Just 3 1/2 hours later, the alarm went off. Snooze. Snooze. Snooze. Snooze. Snooze. Around 5:45 a.m., I rolled out of bed feeling terrible. I thought about skipping my workout, but was determined to stay on track. I got my sneakers on and "pushed play." For the first time since I started P90x, I think I would have been better off taking a blow.

The Core Synergistics workout is really tough (especially for a BLM -- Blob Like Me) and requires a lot of concentration. I was having trouble with some of the moves (this is the first time I've done this workout) and got very frustrated. After the workout, I felt awful--sore, discouraged and tired. I've pretty much been that way the whole day.

Even though I'd hate to miss a day, I have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just "table" my workout today. Do I have a second?

1 comment:

  1. Sleep is the most important part of the recovery process (post-workout, when your muscles are trying to rebuild themselves). Since you didn't get enough....yes, you should have called this your next rest day and made up for it later. But you live and learn!

    ReplyDelete