Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Day (14 &) 15: Feeling Lucky

I've been keeping a secret for the past couple of weeks--I've been very, very worried.

For the past two weeks I have been waiting for blood work to come back from my first physical in several years (it's been so long, I don't remember when my last physical was). I was worried about what the results would show. After all, for the past 10 years, I've been essentially ignoring my health--very little exercise, bad food choices, not enough sleep and a high-stress lifestyle. I was sure my blood tests would show the effects. I was extremely worried about diabetes, because we have a family history.

I was mostly wrong, thank God.

My cholesterol and triglycerides were a bit high, but can be managed. Blood sugar, PSA and all other functions were normal. My blood pressure is a bit high too, but for the most part, I'm a healthy 43 year old man. I don't deserve it in a way, but my body was able to withstand the abuse I've been heaping on it.

When I started my third week of P90x this morning, I thought about how lucky I am. And I resolved never--ever--to ignore my health again. This is the first step in a long journey that will last the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment