Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 19: Thought-Proof Exercise

Last night, as I watched the UConn Huskies vanquish San Diego State, my wife was cutting out little pictures to paste on our 4 1/2 year old's calendar. A school bus tells him which days he has school, a soccer ball tells him which day he has soccer, and so on.

She's been doing this for a while and we really think it's helping him learn his days, dates and numbers.

It made me think about why P90x--so far--seems to be working for me, and I really think it has to do with the fact that it's all laid out for you. You do THIS workout one day, and THAT workout another day and so on.

I am extremely undisciplined about exercise. I don't have that inner motivation to get moving each day. I'm perfectly happy to sit in my chair under a blanket and watch Law & Order: SVU all day (oh, and trust me, I've done it!). If I have to think to exercise, it's far less likely to happen.

But P90x has two things going for it--I do it at my home, not a gym, and I don't have to think. Put in DVD. Push Play. Move!

I deeply admire people who go to the gym each day and know exactly what to do and when to do it, or people who run regularly and have a specific training routine. In my 40s and I've come to accept that is not me. And that's....okay.

Maybe my wife will make me a calendar with little pictures of weights, yoga poses and workout bands. Maybe not.

1 comment: