Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 7: Resting and Looking Back on Week 1

It was certainly nice to be able to get up this morning, have a cup of coffee and NOT hurt myself. But there was just a tiny sliver of me that missed it. Small. Very Small. To quote one of my favorite movies, it was so small "Rhode Island could kick the crap out of it in a war" (Don't know what movie? See the picture).

I'd have to call the first week a success, if only because I got up each morning and "pushed play" and, for the most part, I did the workouts with fidelity, if not grace and expertise. And, in some way, I enjoyed it---or at least enjoyed pushing myself. Of course, I was so exhausted at night that I couldn't stay awake to watch a TV show (I fell asleep during the judge's table segment of Top Chef and didn't see Carla get bounced!). But I think that will change over time.

I think the best part of it is that my boys now know I'm doing an exercise and nutrition program, which has sparked some conversation in the house about healthy eating and not having too much sugar. So, for all the sore muscles and tiredness, that was definitely worth it.

Looking forward, I see a two major challenges facing me in Week 2:

1) My job: Every third week I have to get up in the morning and do the early "news roundup." This is the third week. I usually do this around 5:30 a.m., but that's when I'm working out so that means I'll need to get up even earlier.

2) March Madness: This is absolutely my favorite time of the year to sit at a bar, drink beer, eat wings and watch the NCAA Tourney (GO UCONN!). I can't say I won't do any of that, but I'll have to control myself big time.

I'm sure one of my boys will remind me to "be healthy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment