Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 24: Respect for My Dad, the Athlete

As I did today's work out (KenpoX), I was thinking about my Dad.

I remember, when I was a kid, my Dad decided to start exercising and began riding his bike on a regular basis. Now, my father (far right in picture with his brother, me and my boys) is a brilliant man and was a top-notch physician, but I wouldn't call him an athlete. I would frequently laugh when he would come home after a 12-hour day at work, put on sneakers with his dress socks, and shorts with a dress shirt and go out to ride his bike.

But now, as a dad in my 40s, I have a lot of respect for that. Despite his sartorial choices, my father did what he had to in order to exercise.

I try not to wear dark socks with sneakers and I try to wear appropriate workout clothes, but in reality, I'm sure I look as awkward as my Dad trying to workout every day. I don't think my boys are laughing at me, but I'm sure that day will come. But that's alright. In the end, I remember my Dad doing what he could to be healthy and I hope my kids see the same thing in me.

Oh, by the way, it worked for my Dad, too. He's now a healthy 87-year-old man with a replaced knee, who still tries to exercise regularly. And I'm very proud of him--dark socks and all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of him, too -- and of you! I'm playing catch-up on the last few weeks. You continue to inspire and blow me away!

    (I finally figured out how to post on your blog, here... I think. It's Jen Barnhart writing you.)

    ReplyDelete