Welcome to PDaddyX

Follow along as a middle-aged dad and husband tries to get in shape. Should be entertaining. Learn more about why I'm doing this.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 9: A Modified Rock Star

As you age, you come to certain realities. I've long accepted that I'll never play outfield for the Mets (although this year, they may need me) and that I will never dunk a basketball (on a regulation hoop). Now, I must accept that I'm not a rock star.

This reality hit me during today's Plyometrics workout when I was trying to do an exercise call "Rock Star Hops." It's where you jump up like Pete Townsend during the end of "Won't Get Fooled Again" and swing your arm around. I tried. And tried. But I couldn't do it. So I modified it so I could do something close.

To me, that's been the key to finishing the hardest workouts in P90X--modification. If you are in poor shape, modification is the only way you're going to finish and still keep your heart rate up. So, during one exercise that was just too hard on my knees, I simulated jumping rope. In another, where everyone is supposed to get high off the ground, I went to my tip toes and then back down. In the end, I sweated a lot and got a good work out in.

Call me a modified rock star.

2 comments: